Georgian Engagement Rings
Stylish. Intricate. Exquisite in design. These are just a few ways to describe engagement rings that hail from the Georgian era. Learn more about this period, and explore our curated collection of Georgian engagement rings to find the piece that’s perfect for you.
About the Georgian Era
The Georgian era spanned from 1714-1837, preceding the Victorian era. Encompassing the American Revolution, the opulent Regency Era, and the life of Jane Austen, this was an important period of social change and progress.
Georgian Engagement Ring Designs
At the beginning of the Georgian era, the tradition of wearing an engagement ring was in its infancy. At the time, only the wealthiest members of society could afford such a luxury. Today, Georgian rings are accessible treasures with undeniable charm! Here are some of the defining traits that can be found in rings from this era:
- Gorgeous Gold. 22K and 18K gold was used to create a majority of engagement rings during the late 18th and early 19th centuries.
- Precious Gemstones. Many rings from this area feature colored gemstones like rubies, sapphires and emeralds.
- Rare Diamonds. Diamonds were incredibly rare and highly coveted during this time period. When included, they often featured a rose cut or an old mine cut.
- Designed for Candlelight. Aluminum and other reflective materials were often placed at the base of a ring’s gemstone so that it would shine brighter when viewed in a candlelit room.
- Old World Motifs. Flowers, ribbons, bows, leaves, feather plumes, and other opulent Greek or Roman motifs were used frequently during this era.
Find The Perfect Engagement Ring
Each ring from this historic period exudes a unique sense of old-fashioned elegance. For an exquisite antique ring with a rich and romantic history, select a style from our curated collection of authentic Georgian engagement rings.